The Story of Amethyst
Amethyste was a young and beautiful woman who was a devotee to the Goddess Diana. Diana represented one of the most complex figures in mythology, juxtaposing ideas of remoteness, chastity, and protection with themes of hunting, fertility, and the propagation of lineages. She was especially important to women and to the lower classes, whom she was believed to protect.
According to myth, Amethyste was traveling to the shrine of Diana to worship her when she had passed Bacchus, the Greek god of intoxication. Bacchus pursued Amethyste in his drunken state, but Amethyste refused his affections. Keep in mind that Amethyste was a virgin hence why she was worshipping the goddess of chastity.
This was quite the blow to Bacchus’ ego, and he became enraged by her rejection. Bacchus threatened to have her eaten by tigers, and yet she still refused and immediately began to pray to the gods to remain chaste. Bacchus unleashed his tigers to chase her and ultimately eat her.
Amethyste began to run towards the shrine of Diana as she prayed and pleaded for help. Goddess Diana responded to her prayers by transforming her into a transparent, clear stone (quartz).
In shame, Bacchus poured a goblet of wine over the stone as a peace offering, which in return dyed the crystal purple.
This is the story behind why Amethyst is said to ward off drunkenness, aid in breaking negative patterns such as addictions as it brings clarity to the mind, and thus making it an excellent stone for meditation and protection.
“I am purified, uplifted, and protected through my connection with the divine.”
Best Suited For:
- Wine Connoisseurs
- People with an excessive work ethic
- A stone of spirituality and contentment
- Excellent stone for meditation
- Calming and peaceful
- Balances the energies of the intellectual emotional and physical body and provides a clear connection between the Earth plane and the other world
- Clears the aura by stabilizing and transmuting any dysfunctional energy located within one body
- Brings one stability, strength, invigoration, and peace
- Protects against psychic attack
- Enhances cooperation and co-efficiency between the mental, physical, and emotional bodies
- Excellent stone for those seeking freedom from addiction
- Amethyst is exceptionally useful in the situation of debating affording advantage to the holder as they will be aided by a spiritual insight coupled with intellectual reasoning
- Great for treating insomnia and ameliorating pain from headache and other disorders
- Stabilizes mental disorders
- Eliminates emotion-based decision
- Empowers you to take actions based on higher guidance and spiritual understanding
- Helps one understand the root cause of one’s disease or imbalance
- Lends clarity in identifying the damaging beliefs, behaviors, and habits that bring one in balance in this Physical Realm
- Facilitates meditation in which one will be able to create communion and communicate with one guides and angels
- Helpful for those who do not feel that they are native to the Earth plane or who experienced a constant longing for a home on other worlds, systems, or dimensions
- Transforms negative thoughts into optimism
- Releases one from false friends who will simply be kept away
Third Eye & Crown
Wind element stimulates the mind, the intuitive, and psychic abilities and one’s connection to the spiritual realms.
- Aids with recovering from addictions due to creating clarity in the mind
- Helps balance the nervous system and the brain
- Supports oxygenation in the blood helping to improve the body’s assimilation of oxygen and eliminate of waste gases especially when in combination with other high iron content systems such as hematite or magnetite
- This is useful for those with low blood pressure, blood disorders, or anemia
- It activates the connective tissue of the skin and helps the skin better store water. Consequently, the skin becomes more resistant to diseases and remains longer in a supple and soft condition right into advanced age
- Harmonizes hair growth from the hair cells and alleviate superfluous facial hair and a loss of hair
*None of these claims are to be a substitute for a doctor’s advice nor have they been approved by the FDA*
GEOLOGICAL FUN FACT
Amethyst belongs to the Quartz family: The presence of manganese in clear quartz produces amethyst and an additional amount of iron content varying the purple coloration.
Quartz is the third most common mineral on the Earth’s crust after ice and feldspar.
MOH’s Hardness Scale: 7
Proper Care & Warnings:
- Avoid direct sunlight because exposure to heat causes the color of amethysts to deteriorate.
- Avoid any contact with chemicals such as household cleaners or hairspray.
- To clean, use a soft toothbrush or cloth and a solution of mild dish soap and warm water to gently scrub the stone.
- Place an amethyst under your pillow to ensure that you sleep gently and it will guard you against any nightmares
- Draw a warm Epsom salt bath and place Amethyst in it to activate the skin to breathe. This will allow for physical & spiritual cleansing of the body removing any hexes.
- Place Amethyst in chamomile tea for 1 hr and then apply the tea onto itching skin irritations, reddening, eczema, or bug bites. Rub the amethyst piece of the area of irritated skin.
- Wear Amethyst near the head to activate clarity in the mind, and ward off headaches. Earrings make an excellent choice for this