The Story of Amethyst
Amethyste was a young and beautiful woman who was a devotee to the Goddess Diana. Diana represented one of the most complex figures in mythology, juxtaposing ideas of remoteness, chastity, and protection with themes of hunting, fertility, and the propagation of lineages. She was especially important to women and to the lower classes, whom she was believed to protect.
According to myth, Amethyste was traveling to the shrine of Diana to worship her when she had passed Bacchus, the Greek god of intoxication. Bacchus pursued Amethyste in his drunken state, but Amethyste refused his affections. Keep in mind that Amethyste was a virgin hence why she was worshipping the goddess of chastity.
This was quite the blow to Bacchus’ ego, and he became enraged by her rejection. Bacchus threatened to have her eaten by tigers, and yet she still refused and immediately began to pray to the gods to remain chaste. Bacchus unleashed his tigers to chase her and ultimately eat her.
Amethyste began to run towards the shrine of Diana as she prayed and pleaded for help. Goddess Diana responded to her prayers by transforming her into a transparent, clear stone (quartz).
Bacchus witnessed this miraculous transformation and became disillusioned from his drunken state and egotistical actions.
In shame, Bacchus poured a goblet of wine over the stone as a peace offering, which in return dyed the crystal purple.
This is the story behind why Amethyst is said to ward off drunkenness, aid in breaking negative patterns such as addictions as it brings clarity to the mind, and thus making it an excellent stone for meditation and protection.
“I am purified, uplifted, and protected through my connection with the divine.”
Best Suited For:
- Wine Connoisseurs
- People with an excessive work ethic
- A stone of spirituality and contentment
- Excellent stone for meditation
- Calming and peaceful
- Balances the energies of the intellectual emotional and physical body and provides a clear connection between the Earth plane and the other world
- Clears the aura by stabilizing and transmuting any dysfunctional energy located within one body
- Brings one stability, strength, invigoration, and peace
- Protects against psychic attack
- Enhances cooperation and co-efficiency between the mental, physical, and emotional bodies
- Excellent stone for those seeking freedom from addiction
- Amethyst is exceptionally useful in the situation of debating affording advantage to the holder as they will be aided by a spiritual insight coupled with intellectual reasoning
- Great for treating insomnia and ameliorating pain from headache and other disorders
- Stabilizes mental disorders
- Eliminates emotion-based decision
- Empowers you to take actions based on higher guidance and spiritual understanding
- Helps one understand the root cause of one’s disease or imbalance
- Lends clarity in identifying the damaging beliefs, behaviors, and habits that bring one in balance in this Physical Realm
- Facilitates meditation in which one will be able to create communion and communicate with one guides and angels
- Helpful for those who do not feel that they are native to the Earth plane or who experienced a constant longing for a home on other worlds, systems, or dimensions
- Transforms negative thoughts into optimism
- Releases one from false friends who will simply be kept away
- Place an amethyst under your pillow to ensure that you sleep gently and it will guard you against any nightmares
- Draw a warm Epsom salt bath and place Amethyst in it to activate the skin to breathe. This will allow for physical & spiritual cleansing of the body removing any hexes.
- Place Amethyst in chamomile tea for 1 hr and then apply the tea onto itching skin irritations, reddening, eczema, or bug bites. Rub the amethyst piece of the area of irritated skin.
- Wear Amethyst near the head to activate clarity in the mind, and ward off headaches. Earrings make an excellent choice for this